Monday, October 1, 2007

Shamus Awards

The Shamus Awards were presented Sept. 28th in Anchorage, Alaska at a ceremony hosted by PWA member Ted Fitzgerald and former PWA President S.J. Rozan, in the absence of PWA Founder Robert J. Randisi, who missed the event for the first time. Also absent for the first time was the event's coordinator, and PWA's membership Chair, Christine Matthews.

But the ceremony went off without a hitch and the winners were as follows:

Best Novel: THE DRAMATIST by Ken Bruen
Best First Novel: THE WRONG KIND OF BLOOD by Declan Hughes
Best Paperback Novel: AN UNQUIET GRAVE by P.J. Parish
Best Short Story: "The Heart Has Reasons" by O'Neil DeNoux
The "EYE," the Life Achievement Award: Stuart Kaminsky
The "Hammer," (which goes not to the author but to the fictional P.I.) Shell Scott


What follows is the thank you statement sent by Stuart Kaminsky, who was unable to attend:

I've been writing PI novels for 33 years and, to paraphrase Randolph Scott in COMMANCHE STATION, “I full intend to keep doing it.” This award is especially gratifying because I know so many of you personally and read your work so eagerly. As a kid, I listened to private eye series religiously on the radio -- Johnny Dollar, Richard Diamond, Sam Spade, Sherlock Holmes. I went to movies to meet with Mike Shayne, The Lone Wolf, The Saint, Phillip Marlowe and The Falcon. But the desire to become a private eye writer began for me when I was 14 and sitting in the back seat of the car of my friend whose father was driving us to school. There was a paperback on the floor. I picked it up. My friend's father saw me in the rearview mirror and asked if I wanted it. I said I did and he warned, "Don't tell your mother and father where you got it." I read the book, I, THE JURY by Mickey Spillane. I read all the Mike Hammers and I knew what I wanted to do with my life. I told this to Mickey many years later and he said, "Thanks, kid. You're not the first writer who accused me of that crime."
This award is more than welcome. I'm proud to be one of you and
Toby Peters, Jim Rockford, Lew Fonesca and I thank all of you for this
honor.

Stuart M. Kaminsky


A press release has been sent out. For more information email Bob Randisi at RRandisi@aol.com.

RJR